Monday, August 23, 2010

Deployment #1: Complete

Sorry I haven't been updating.  I've been busy traveling back from Iraq and settling in.  "Settling in" is a lot harder than one might assume.  Anyway, I am satisfied with the experience I was lucky to have during 12 months in Iraq.  My Soldiers did their part, and I feel like I did my part too.  I worry that a lot that we have done for the Iraqis is not sustainable a lot.  The things that we needed to work on would require a whole generation's worth of time to change.  Time will tell.  I had a rough time dealing with certain people at times, but I stayed safe... and relatively normal.  When I first came back, I did not know what to do with myself... (wondering what I should do with all the "down time", always looking for my weapon, and was not happy with all the bills I now have to pay).  Luckily, I had a handful of good friends to welcome me back and bring me back to earth (namely Molly who hosted me for weeks upon weeks... and by "hosted", I mean HOSTED... she housed, fed, and clothed me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment